Finally, my RedDot CMS/Open Text WSM Toolbar plugin (aka “rdToolbar”) is now available for download!
rdToolbar was first conceived many years ago in an attempt to streamline the content entry process for SmartEdit users, whilst grouping together custom RQL plugins/functions in a consist location on the page.
So what is it?
In a nutshell it is a panel that sits at the top of every ‘master’ or ‘foundation’ page in SmartEdit mode. It consists of:
- A big fat clickable Open/Close button for the page
- A number of customisable clickable buttons that can trigger any RQL plugins/scripts that you wish to integrate into your project
- Basic page information that is displayed to the user regardless if the page is open or closed.
You may have actually seen the toolbar before whilst editing your profile/solutions within Solution Exchange – which I contributed to the site around 6 months ago.
The toolbar has gone through a number of different incarnations since the initial version – most of which were around improving performance (it now uses asynchronous AJAX calls to obtain page information via RQL). Installation is a piece of cake too – just a simple cut and paste job.
What versions of the CMS are supported?
At this point in time, the toolbar is only supported in RedDot CMS Version 10+ – and requires the use of ‘master/foundation’ page project setups. I have no plans to make it work with target containers – as I’m a firm believer of staying well away from them from a usability and maintenance perspective!
1. To install, simply unzip the file into the plugins directory. Make sure that the ‘rdToolbar’ is sitting in the root of plugins folder.
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/cms/plugins/rdtoolbar/common/styles/menu.css" media="all" />
(make sure that references points to the location of your plugins directory)
3. Add the following code directly after the body tag.
// set up page variables
rdToolbarStatus.vars.pageguid = '<%!! Context:CurrentPage.Id.ToString(N).ToUpper() !!%>';
<!IoRangeRedDotEditOnly>rdToolbarStatus.vars.pagemode = '1'<!/IoRangeRedDotEditOnly>
rdToolbarStatus.vars.defaultextension = '.htm';
// run the plugin
Theres no need to add any placeholders for this to work. Just cut and paste directly into your foundation templates
I hope you get plenty of use of out of the RedDot plugin!